Friday, August 20, 2010

How to retrain my horse using natural horsemanship?

My 6 year old develops awful manners throughout the winter months due to the fact that we do not have an indoor to use him in. I am looking to retrain him using natural horsemanship because that is what he was brought up with. Can anyone point out some good Parelli or other videos to watch?How to retrain my horse using natural horsemanship?
From personal first hand experience the Parelli system can make your horse nervy, head shy, not cope in stressful situations, pushy.





I will get bagged out for saying this, but I would never touch a Parelli horse again. They swing a lead rope at the horse to get it to move away quickly, if it does not respond quick enough then it will get hit with the rope. Now you have a horse who moves away quickly and becomes nervous and jumpy that they will then be punished.





So what I'm left with is a horse who won't stand still and runs away when you approach them? I can't make much sense out of it. This horse was not taught by DVD's, he actually attended 2 years of Parelli certified instruction courses and was in level 3.





I like Monty Roberts methods and I also like Clinton Andersons methods. While DVD's are better than nothing, be careful about handing out hundreds of dollars for a system that does not give you a well rounded teaching method, such as Parelli. Nothing will beat the great instruction you will get hands on from a good mentor, if you have one near you ;-)





This is a link to a disturbing video that shows the Parelli techniques and has a bit more of my story in my answer.


http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind鈥?/a>





All I will say is take a good look at several methods and look beyond the ';puff'; of advertising gimmicks before making a large investment in these DVD's. I know 1 person out of all my horse friends who swears by it, but no other people can handle her horse. He needs to be handled with specific methods or the horse is in a constant battle for the leadership.





Good luck with your fellow ;-)








*** ADD - @ horsemadangel -


The horse I purchased was trained ONLY by certified Parelli instructors - are you implying they don't know what they are doing, since Mr. Parelli himself travels here and certify's them?





The video I have linked to does not lie. What I wrote above is MY personal experience with Parelli and I am happy for you to disagree with me.





However please explain the video to me and help me understand why, it was necessary for her to treat the horse in such a manner. He stood and gave his attention to her several times for short snippets. In a clinic situation like that, those small pieces of GOOD should have been picked up and rewarded.





It is like dealing with a child, they have short attention spans and are excited by new places. You don't teach advanced mathematics in the middle of a shopping centre because it is distracting and hard to concentrate.





So I feel the horses should have been asked to pay attention and then rewarded on any of the many times he stood still and looked at her. If she had acted quicker in her praise the situation would not have dragged on and became ridiculous.





Please justify the method used here so perhaps we can all understand.





I purchased a level 3 Parelli horse only 2 months ago, because I thought it would be good. So I'm not a Parelli basher from way back! But I have been left absolutely astounded at the behaviour of this horse. Then even more disgusted the more I have researched and discovered about these methods.





Oh and by the way, I have not even given you a TD, because that is your opinion! Can you say the same? ;-(How to retrain my horse using natural horsemanship?
hi there, i am a dedicated parelli student and have trained many horses with it, and never seen a bad result :) unfortunately it seems there are people who dont like parelli, probably because the parelli they have seen has not been done properly, the whole idea of it is to become a good leader while at the same time creating a loving relationship with your horse.





Definitely start with the 7 games, they are so so useful and are the foundation to everything parelli. if you can, get yourself a halter, 12ft line and carrot stick/string, and the level 1/2 dvds. Its also worth joining the savvy club for $20 a month (you get DVDs, magazines, access to members only website, discounts etc etc).





Parelli is fantastic, your horse will thank you for choosing it.





Like i said, i have only had good experiences with parelli. I have successfully trained 3 youngsters from the start using parelli, all 3 are brilliant riding horses now, 2 involved in high standard dressage. I have also retrained my off the track racehorse with it, and can now ride him with no bridle, and no one would ever guess he was a racehorse.





goos luck!! x
Parelli is just one trainer. I think he takes too long to get to the point in order to get more of your $$ and then there's all that crap about introvert brains, etc...





Get something simple, some real good basic training.





Clinton Anderson has some to the point DVDs that help anyone get started and be point-blank with their horses. Great stuff.





John Lyons also has some DVds, as does Chris Cox and Richard Winters.
I would NOT, I repeat NOT! Go with Parelli in any way, shape, or form. A horse needs a leader- Not a babier. They need to be told what to do. They need a leader otherwise the horse starts to take over and that's when the bad things start to happen. I use and love Clinton Anderson. It works great, Shows you're the leader or the *herd*, and it doesn't hurt the horse in any way. I know I can't make you go with anything and if you want to use Parelli then you won't change your mind about it but I strongly recommend you at least think about it. If you really want to use Parelli I would go to YouTube and type in Parelli. You'll see stuff on there that's helpful to you. Even with Clinton Anderson you could do that. Hope this helps! =)


-Fresh Paint-
Start with the seven games!You can go to Parelli.com and buy some dvds to help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment